Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Definition of frustration

So this story starts a little while ago... let me take you back to last week.

My shower head drips. How much, I wondered? So I put a 1 gallon ice cream bucket under the drip... apparently about 3 gallons a day. I have been dumping the bucket in the dogs' water bucket and washing machine, but really... I can't do this forever. So I decide this is something I will fix. This is the obvious start of the frustration. After researching on the internet, what I've learned is that the source of the drip is likely the 'seat washers', which likely need to be replaced. Ok... this is something I can do, surely. So I start to take it all apart. Quickly I realize I am missing a tool. I go to the small hardware store here in town to get said tool. I come home - with a tool that doesn't fit. And the wrong washers. So I plan a trip into Salina - a town with a Lowe's. I get to Lowe's and begin to realize that I don't really know what I need. At Lowe's I do pick up a better fitting tool - and encounter a man that obviously thinks I don't belong in Lowe's at all. And he basically refuses to help me because I can only begin to tell him what I'm doing and what I need. Ick. So i come home and call it a day, because that day the level of frustration was already high. That brings us to today. I turn the water off and use the newest tool to remove the valve to take to the hardware store and find something that will work. Well - after 2 trips to the hardware store I found some washers that didn't quite fit, but I thought might work because they were too big, not too small. I got it all put together and ... the water wouldn't turn back on. Apparently this morning, while the coffee can was off the pipe that holds the shut off, the cold got down there and froze it. So I waited. And when the water magically and suddenly turned back on - the washers didn't work. I couldn't turn the water off at the faucet so the shower is spraying and I'm wet and cold and cussing. So I returned it off at the shut off, replaced the new washers with the old washers and turned the water back on. My shower head drips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha...OK, that really does sound like the most frustrating thing in the world. But when you ended with "My shower head drips," I laughed for 15 minutes.

tt said...

Your efforts against water waste are valiant albeit unsuccessful.