Wednesday, January 9, 2008

100th post!

This is the 100th post of this blog! There's no prize or anything... but still! I should bake a cake. I am making oatmeal cookies, so that will be my celebratory food.

Well - as most of you know, there was recently a devastasting ice storm here in Abilene. (While it was strong, it wasn't actually devasting, but I have learned from local and national media - fear sells even more than sex. So.) We have done most of the clean up, but since Mom and Dad are here, I put them to work... cleaning up some of the limbs that broke but we refusing to fall from the trees. These are bad limbs - because they could fall at anytime, on top of a camper - so we definitely have to get as many of these down as we can. So we used a ladder and shimmied up a tree, brought up the electric chain saw and got rid of the limbs we could.

All was going according to plan until... DUHDUHDUUUUH! I sawed off the wrong limb. Or I sawed off the right limb, but it fell the wrong way. And bent and actually broke the aluminum extension ladder. So I stayed out there and cut down some more tragic limbs and then dad and mom held one side of the broken ladder so I could come down. It was pretty funny... for a few minutes we wondered how we were going to get me down.

All in all - it was a productive day and climbing trees is always fun. Climbing trees with an electric chain saw is a little more frightening, but I'm all about adrenaline. Plus - how am I gonna jump out of a plane some day if I can't climb a tree. :) Photos below.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you sure are gutsey ... glad it all came out ok...won't you be glad when all of the ice and snow is gone for the year.. and the people start showing up..
lUV U Grams

Anonymous said...

Happy 100th! I'm happy you're celebrating with cookies! I'll toast you with a miniature peanut butter cup!

Also, you're job is infinitely cooler than mine. Next time we go to Cabo, you can add arborist to your list of duties!

DJ said...

That is fairly bad-ass.