Monday, March 17, 2008

Rock and a hard place

Well we've all been in such a spot. I was put there today by two competing forces - business rules and desire to please. So we occasionally have local people park in the campground because they are moving, or can't afford a house, or other circumstances. Last month a lady came in with her son- a nice older lady (maybe 60s?) and said she was have a rough year and needed to park in the campground and rents and pays for a spot for a month - $375. Now her rent was due this Sunday and she came in asking for me to barter for the spot. We do barter for things occasionally, but the campground is literally making no money - we can't afford to have people using our utilities and we pay cash for those and the campers pay with labor. Sucky, but true. If there was a way I could send her down to the electric company to work off our bill, I might have taken her up on it. Also, she came in about a week ago asking if I had any work for her to do for gas money. I felt bad - but I told her no - both because we really didn't and because I don't want people assuming we have enough money to have employees - because we definitely don't. So. When she asked if she could trade labor, she offered cleaning the bathrooms, lifeguarding the pool and mowing. Well - the pool and mowing are moot points at least for another month, but I love mowing and there's no way I'm giving that chore away. Selfish, I know - but that chore really is my sanity in the summer. And the pool is 5-feet deep at the deepest (so we can get away just posting 'no lifeguard' signs) and insurance-wise, there's no way we can pay a 60-year old to lifeguard it. So we're down to cleaning the bathrooms - Do you realize how much time she would have to spend in there scrubbing to work off her $375 in rent? The electricity to have the lights on so she could see what she was doing would cost us more. Ugh. Rock meet hard spot. Mind if I stand between you two? So today when she came down - I basically had to kick an old lady out. I'm like that mean guy from Rent. (Which was a terrible movie - but we've already discussed this.) I'm pretty sure she was crying - even though I gave her 2 free nights. I hate internal debates - I hate recognizing that it's selfish to a degree - I could pay myself a little less - and then she could stay a little longer, but I'm not willing to do that. I wonder, at what point is it determined that you're going to special landlord hell? Hey - one good thing - I'm a people pleaser - but not if it's gonna cost me money. Great.

Guess what word I regularly mess up in this blog. Occasionally. I want to spell it Occassionally. Which is just nuts.

6 comments:

tt said...

She should get paid to clean the bathrooms somehwere that needs someone. And, there are organizations that help people with rent and utilities. Don't feel bad Cassie, this is part of being the grandmaster of the camprground. Notice the 'g' is lowercase-I don't want your head to get too big. If you're ever in that awkward situation again, refer them to the United Way (just dial 211).

Anonymous said...

HEY NOW WAIT A MINUTE I THINK I HEAR YOU THINKING YOU WERE DOING A MEAN THING TO THIS WOMAN...hmmm I DON'T THINK SHE WAS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.THE LAST I HEARD YOU WERE ONLY RESPONSABLE FOR YOU AND THE CAMPGROUND...AND THE CAMPGROUND IS NOT A CHARITY AGENCY I AGREE WITH TT "SEND HER TO A PLACE THAT HAVE AGENCIES THAT CAN HELP"..YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB LUV U GRAMS

Anonymous said...

Wow what a meanie :)
Ok kidding - I will admit that I was the one that forced you to do the deed. I'm sorry that people are people and all types seem to find CW a good place to stop. Hmmm, that could be your fault. You have too good of a reputation.

Anonymous said...

It is a shame that we can'tall embrace the needs of others and somehow assist in thier plight. Now for my dissenting view - it is a shame that people somehow feel it is the responsibility of a very small family business to somehow forego the need to pay bills to provide shelter for free to other families (I am not sure she really expected that). At any rate, you did a lot for her IMHO - a lot more than say the bowling alley or one of the local hotels would have done! You are a good person with a good heart - and I am proud that you not only helped her as much as you felt the CG could afford - but, you also did what you could to maintain a vaible business in a very slow time. Very well done!

SillyCass said...

Hello. TV Digital. This blog is likeable and liked by some. :-) Thank you for your congratulations. I do occassionally create a likeable blog post. :-) I'm so glad-like to be in your blogroll. Hugs for all!

Anonymous said...

yeah!...what dad said.

I get people who do the same thing, ask for something for free or ask us to waive a charge or fee. The reasons they give us as to why they want this range from the feeble to the heartbreaking to the bizarre, but every charge I waive, every fee I refund, is money out of my pocket. It sucks, but it is what it is. Welcome to American capitalism, in all its glory.

hops off the soapbox...

I hope I never need public assistance, but it's nice to know it's there. I think you did the right thing. You're a generous person for all the right reasons, and I think your good karma remains intact.