Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cassquatch is an indian?

I believe DJ's joke was a play on Sasquatch.

According to Merriam-Webster.com:
Main Entry: Sas·quatch
Pronunciation: 'sas-"kwach, -"kwäch
Function: noun
Etymology: Halkomelem (Salishan language of southwestern British Columbia) sésq'&c
: a hairy creature like a human being reported to exist in the northwestern United States and western Canada and said to be a primate between 6 and 15 feet (1.8 and 4.6 meters) tall -- called also bigfoot.

In other words, not an indian. Boo, Laura Judy, Boo.

According to DJ:
Main Entry: Cass·quatch
Pronunciation: 'cass-"kwach, -"kwäch
Function: noun
Etymology: English (not Queen's)
: a hairy creature like a human being reported to exist in the plains United States hailing from Southeastern United States and said to be a primate with huge feet (1.8 and 4.6 meters) -- called also Cassie.

Now maybe if he'd said Cassagawea, or Cassahontas, but those don't make any sense as we were talking about feet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wooooooow...I have officially gotten myself booed twice in this blog! I am taking a blog-cation until I can get a handle on my spontaneous stupidity. Or until I think of something clever to say. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

You're right, I was playing off of "Sasquatch." And while any person of modest intelligence could have figured that out, your etymology lesson is appreciated.

Incidentally, in Montana last summer, I learned that I've been prononcing "Sacagawea" wrong my entire life.

It's NOT: Sack-uh-juh-WEE-uh (as I thought)

It IS: Suh-CAH-guh-WAY-uh

But that's stupid, so I continue to say it my way in protest.