Friday, May 4, 2007

Benefit of Single-dom Part 2

Believe this (or don't, whatev):

I'm reading a book right now by Garrison Keillor, "The Book of Guys". Reading it is supposed to be fairly representative of guy thinking and behavior, specifically in relationships. The chapter last night had this to say from the viewpoint of a fictional Don Giovanni:

"...a man owes it to himself to stop and consider the three advantages of the single life. One, if you're single, you can think. Two, you can act. Three, you can feel. Probably there are other advantages, but those three surely are important, yes?"

I think the Don may be on something here, but it may pertain to women just as much as men.

Other notes: Reading "The Book of Guys" makes me feel a little like a spy. Is this how boys feel when they sneak a peek at Cosmo or Seventeen? I've never actually known for certain any boys that do this, none that would admit it anyway, but I admit to having looked at GQ or Maxim.

Reading this book does in fact mean I've finished "The Year of Magical Thinking". Tara (and others who may be interested), I'm not sure I recommend it. I didn't even read the last 10 pages, because I thought she had made her point and I just wanted to go to the library. Something to keep in mind. Who knows, maybe in those last 10 pages she healed from the death of her husband and struggles of the past year and went to an amusement park, but I doubt it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I was reading the "book of gals" the other day - but it was a quick read. Basically, it containedd every rule women wanted men to know. All that really existed between the covers was a copyright statement and 3 blank pages -- good reading!