Saturday, July 14, 2007

Today's jerk.

Not everyday has a jerk. But today does.

This morning at about 8:45, the power went out. At this point I decided to give it a little (say 2, 3 minutes) time to come back and get dressed. Immediately after I finish dressing, I hear this knocking at the door. So, I answer it. It's a camper. Who is also a jerk. Here is what transpired:

Setting: Back door, 8:55 am
Players:
Old Jerk
Cassie, an irritated girl

Cassie: Good morning!
Old Jerk: You know the power's out.
Cassie: Yup, it looks like no one in the park has power. I would guess most of the city is out.
Old Jerk: Well, what does the electric company say?
Cassie: Uh...well, I haven't called them yet.
Old Jerk: Well, you might want to do that.
Cassie: Yeah... I will, it just went out.
Old Jerk: Like 10 minutes ago.
Cassie: Ok, well, I'll call them.
Old Jerk: You do that. (Starts walking away.) And do we get a refund for the time we don't have power?
Cassie: (Incredulously) For the past 10 minutes?
Old Jerk: Well, who knows how long it will be out?
Cassie: You're right, I will call the electric company, but no refunds, I'm sure. Thanks.
Old Jerk walks away. Cassie mumbles obscenities and gesticulates wildly from the safety of the office.

The End

A call to the Electric company informed me that the power would be out for 2 hours. Here's what I deduced: The man paid $44 for about 42 hours of parking. The tent rate (which receives no power) would have been $36. The difference is presumably the cost of our utilities - $8. His site has Water, Electric, Sewer and Cable. So that is $2 per utility for 42 hours, or $.05 per hour. So the power was out for about 1.5 hour - I do owe him a refund or $.08. I figure if he comes up for a refund, I will explain this to him and offer to round up to $.10 for his inconvenience. Jerk.

What a lousy way to start a weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every Saturday, Sunday and all other days have a jerk! You should be glad that you only had one. I think your calculations are wonderful and would really look forward to hearing how the "jerk" received them
Have a better Sunday!!!
Love ya
Aunt Sandi

Unknown said...

What a jerk! My favorite part of this is picturing you gesticulating wildly from the office and then doing angry math.