Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Homemade Jelly

I tried to make homemade Mulberry Jelly yesterday. We have mulberry trees in the park and when the birds eat them and then drop their bombs, they are a very offensive purple. So I tried to pick the berries (succeeded here) and boil them (also success) and make jelly (failure). I think I failed for a couple of reasons, but the main one is that the recipe called for 4 pounds of Mulberries. I had a little less that a pound. The result: some sort of disgusting mulberry jelly candy thing. Gross.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least you did try and that is what counts I guess LUV U GRAMS

Anonymous said...

Did you use pectin? On Little People, Big World, they used pectin (whatever that is) when they made jelly. Or I guess it was jam. What's the difference? I like the word jam. Miss you!

tt said...

LJ, you and your advice gleaned from a midget family. I can only dream to have a similar show in the future. Making jam or jelly is a pain in the you know. I siggest trying to bake them into a cake or buckle instead. It's easy and you should need way less than 4 lbs.

tt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tt said...

Jelly doesn't have any fruit solids in it. Jams do. Now tell me the difference between jam and marmalade, then you'd really wow my socks off.