Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tree scaling.

I wonder what's more difficult - scaling mountains or trees? Trees are sometimes straight up and mountains at least occasionally have a slope. But mountains are (usually) much taller.

Anyway - the reason why this question comes up is simple. A couple of weeks ago, a tree guy came out and trimmed a tree that was badly broken from the ice storm. He was very reasonably priced and responded to phone calls quickly. Great customer service. But he didn't use a bucket truck - he just shimmied up the tree using ropes and special shoes. This instigated a thought - I could do that with the right shoes. I'm an eternal optimist. Anyway, I bid on some shoes and a harness on Ebay - but lost. and they went for really expensive. I decided to spring for the harness but build the shoes. "Idiot Boots" as my dad calls them. See below.




A few looooong days later, UPS delivered my harness... and up the tree I tried to go. This is a picture story.






You may not be able to tell - but the boots are duct taped on - because they were my dad's old cowboy boots and I had to cut them open to get the screws in.





Also please note the ladder.

Anyway this was only attempt #1. I am building a second pair of idiot boots. Plus I'm thinking - tie the rope to a car and pull forward slowly, it would make my job a little easier.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is probably the greatest series of pictures I've ever seen. I'm glad there were more after the one of you collapsed on the ground!

I'm thinking of duct taping my cowboy boots. It's quite a fashion statement! Tree climbing looks FUN!

DJ said...

You are as awesome as you are completely nuts. Take that as you will.

Anonymous said...

Dan would you consider moving?

Anonymous said...

I believe I tried to protect you by calling them EYE - DEE - TEN - TEE Boots. Is it my fault you had at least enough presence of mind to figure it out? At any rate - more truth for the readers - she did not fall out of the tree - the aforementioned Harness was causing some (shall we say) discomfort? And after her first "Failed attempt", she collapsed to the ground with a loud expression of relief and PAIN!!! Of course, I think the pain was self-infliced and more drama than real...

Anonymous said...

Problem #1 boots made it hard to climb the ladder.
Problem #2 humans tend to walk on the bottom of their feet but climb using the insteps.
Problem #3 Harness must fit properly so as not to cause pain to chest parts.
Problem #4 Mom and Dad are not strong enough to pull Cass up tree.
Problem #5 Men's size 11 cowboy boots are too big for small footed female.
Problem #6 Duct tape was made for holding ducting together - not leather boots.
Solution #1 - She has more guts and creativity in her little toe than I have in my whole body!

Bishop Dr. Michael C. Lewis said...

http://www.tbotech.com/ninja-gear.htm

40 bucks for the set, a pretty good deal.

SillyCass said...

holy crap - ninja gear is awesome! I ordered it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow I saure am glad your feet don't fit those boots..Also it looked like so much fun I wish I had been there to watch or cheet you on or what ever it took...glad you lived thru the tight harness.. NIJA GEAR????
Keep up the good fun and the Blogging
LUV U GRAMS

Anonymous said...

We appreciate people like you - ordering the ninja gear has invoked the addition of your personal information to our database

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh my gosh, the ninja gear RULES!! I've been dying to come to KS anyway, and if I can get a turn at the ninja gear, I might just move there.

tt said...

Ninja warriors have special "sticky spray". It could work as well as cowboy boots with nails, or maybe you should get some Japanese slippers to wear under your ninja spikes.

DJ said...

Come back to blogging, Cassie.