Sunday, March 10, 2013

The effects of your feet up and your hair down

Somehow, I think I blog better with my feet up and my hair long.  You be the judge.

Today has been a loooong day.  This morning, I was at mom and dad's in Arkansas.  Today we Sprung Forward, lost an hour.  Last night, Beppo got sick around 5 am. Cleaning that up as clandestine-ly as possible was awesome, lost 30 minutes of sleep, probably.  We headed back to Lenexa and around 3:00pm I left for my first day volunteering at a Wildlife rescue!

Mostly it's a lot of chores - I did a lot of laundry, dishes, and swept and mopped the floor.  But... there is so much good and cuteness there!

I got to feed baby squirrels (Twice!) and help manage feeding the baby bunnies.  The bunnies are fed by feeding tube because they don't take to the bottle very well.  I wasn't comfortable doing that - apparently it is really easy to get the tube in the lungs and I was not comfortable with that idea.  I also held a Barred Owl while he was force fed some ... meat...  There is a snake there.  I told the supervisor the snake is the only thing I definitely don't think I will be comfortable with.  I can cut up ... meat ... prep the other food, secure animals with crazy talons, but I do not want to look at that snake.  She said that was fine, so that's good. :)

They have probably 10 different types of owls, 8 turtles, 1 snake (ick), a turkey vulture, a Golden and a Bald Eagle, peregrine falcons, kestrals, squirrels, rabbits, a possum, 7 chickens, at least 500 mice and rats, and probably some creature I am forgetting.  Most of the animals are in various stages of care, whether it's a broken wing, or nursery care, but some of the animals are permanently disabled and legally cannot be set free - they must be euthanized if Operation Wildlife had to set them free because they didn't have the resources or something.  But OWL is allowed to keep 2 of each of the species as educational and 1 of each as a foster parent, so there is a fair amount that can be saved.

All in all, very interesting and satisfying -  And ... BABY ANIMALS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really cool, except the laundry. DaMom

Anonymous said...

The time is wrong on this - where's my Alibi now?