Friday, February 6, 2009

Guest blog !

Hi All - Dad is safely in the Philipines and here is a delightful message from him! All I know is that this is great to read and didn't give me any nightmares. From now on - Dad will travel for me and just tell me how he slept and what he ate:

Landed safe and sound at around 6am Friday Philippines time. After getting
thru immigration/customs/baggage he heard some saying "are you Sir Lewis?"
My ride to the hotel. The car was stopped on the way for security
inspection - dog to sniff luggage too. The driver had 5 kids - oldest is 17.
I told him "I had four and the youngest was 21" -- he laughed and said I did
not look old enough. He looked at me at least twice tomake sure I wasn't
joking. I guess I don't look so old when I wear a ball cap :-)

The pix is the seating chart of the plane. He was in Seat 4A - which
completely lays flat into a bed. Personal TV and noise-cancelling earphones.
In-flight movie "Eagle Eye". He willingly ate Phil cuisine and survived
(they offered western cuisine but he felt adventurous.) You too can have all
that luxury for only $3500 USD rt. "...took off my shoes, pulled the blanket
up, loosened the seatbelt and slept on one side or the other..."


(He had a double decker plane!!)




The hotel (www.Shangri-la.com) Makati is luxurious. He is on the 16th floor
in a nice room (Bed, Couch, Desk, Flat Screen TV, 2 showers - standard
toilet. 4 bathrobes - 2 heavy-weight and 2 light-weight). room is cold -
what is the celcius conversion? Humidity is very high. Raining.
He tipped the Bellman 100 pesos. Hey Hey Big Spender (ok so it was only
about $2.50 us)
He goes to work tonight about 10pm his time and gets off work about 9am. He
is charging the camera to take some pictures out his window to send.

Food Digested so far on this adventure:
Snack in Business Class lounge at LA Airport: smoked salmon sandwich
Dinner in-flight: some sort of beef tips on green beans
Snack in-flight: some sort of rice porridge with chicken in it
Breakfast in-flight: cheese and tomato omelet

All of the above are things he would never eat in normal life. But since he
is doing this trip for all of us - he has to try new things!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just how great is this???? I hope he can keep the info coming and you can continue to pass it on I am sure we all will enjoy it and those meals (I can't believe he ate it) maybe his food choises will change now.thank you both
LUB U GRAMS

tt said...

There was no confirmation of denial of a bidet despite the helpful declaration there was an in room standard toilet. What gives?

Anonymous said...

Does having a gues blog - release the owners of all their blogging responsibilities? Just curious