Saturday, November 15, 2008

Extreme Home Makeover

Well, while I don't think anyone in Chapman would say that the June 11th tornado was a good thing - there is a silver lining. Extreme Home Makeover, complete with Ty, Paige and all the man-tears you can stand, came to Chapman to help rebuild last week. It's actually pretty amazing. I took some pictures yesterday and I'll post them at the end. From what I understand the family chosen for the big house is pretty needy - a family of six, plus a nephew. The dad was injured in Iraq - I've heard different ways, shot in the neck or brain or back injury - either way sounds pretty extreme. Extreme enough to make Ty cry, I'm sure. They've been living on base at Fort Riley since the tornado - while the kids are still in school in Chapman - probably about 20-30 minutes away. Sounds like a family that will definitely have a much improved and much deserved life. Right now I think the family is in the Bahamas and that too me - that's a huge benefit too as the cold season has started. To me the crews working (most of which are local volunteers- -3000 volunteers) look like ants on an ant hill that I just kicked over. Seriously though - it really does make me think of an old-timey barn raising. The community has definitely shown support - if not for the family and Chapman, then the support for the desire to maybe be on TV!
But like I said - they are helping with the rebuilding of Chapman - not just one family. They are also rebuilding the community center - complete with huuuuge storm shelter, the city park, a smaller renovation for another family, and yesterday I even over heard someone saying that there was a bunch of volunteers down at the high school - an extra project. Now there are two ways to look at all this - depending on the level of cynicism I am feeling. It's amazing that 3000+ people and companies can come together and do this for each other. It kinda makes me sad that it takes 6 months and small screen celebrities to make it happen. And when it does happen - they build one huge home - rather than 5 smaller homes. Part of it is the appeal - the oooooh, ahhhh. But I think that I wish the appeal was just as great if they rebuilt for more people. The other side of me - the cynical aspect of me - is greatly pleased to be proved correct as some of the people of Chapman are getting jealous and snipe-y. Lots of people are whispering "They don't deserve it." Don't get me wrong - I think the family that they chose and the projects that the teams are working on are valid and needy - I stopped watching that show a long time ago because I got tired of crying both happy and sad tears, so... Sad. Happy. Sad? Happy? You tell me. Pictures galore.

This one is a little outside of town - but I think it's cool.












4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I agree with everything you said. I realize that with the show coming in they bring suppliers but I wonder why the suppliers did not step up earlier and the volenteers too.I don't watch the show for several reasons but the main reason is the same as yours. SAD-HAPPY-SAD-HAPPY. oh and by the way thanks for the blog. LUV U GRAMS

Anonymous said...

Bet there is a lot of excitement and buzz in Abilene too. Be sure to let us know when they air the show - It is one I will suffer through. I've been on a self-torture kick lately, suffering thru Bringing Home Baby and A Baby's Story daily. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the house and the family later on. Several homes Extreme has done have become burdens to the families. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

They could have done the whole town - but that wouldn't have garnered the emotional response of a family of 6with a wounded vet from Iraq. They pay for what people will watch - entire small towns would becoming boring to people versus the plight of the single family - oh well - I am a cynical person.

tt said...

I totally know what you mean when you see them spend money on a giant house and tons of hoopla that it seems like a waste-or at least a misallotment of funds when the could have helped more people, if they didn't have to pay the camera crew.