Saturday, February 19, 2011

What a week!

I've been so busy! Day job - check, campground on Friday - check, My taxes - check, Cari's taxes - check, working on a friend's computer - check(well, this one is still in progress - but it counts!) And FISHING! No catching, but happy to be out there in the sun, pretending all this winter ugliness is over. I do sometimes wonder if something is wrong with me... I mean, more than the obvious. I feel so much better when it's sunny and warm, I'm more easy-going and agreeable, more patient, more understanding. So I turn to my old friend Google:

According to Mayo Clinic:

Fall and winter seasonal affective disorder (winter depression)
Winter-onset seasonal affective disorder symptoms include:


  • Depression
  • Hopelessness
  • Anxiety
  • Loss of energy
  • Social withdrawal
  • Oversleeping
  • Loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
  • Weight gain
  • Difficulty concentrating and processing information

Hmm. I don't think I am actually 'depressed' when it's winter... all I am 'hoping' for is Spring. I'm 'anxious' for warmer weather. I lack the 'energy' to do anything but dream. All the cool 'social' activities require better weather. Might as well go back to 'sleep' until spring. How could you 'enjoy the spring activities' in this frigid weather? I always 'crave carbohydrates'. Look...aren't we all 'gaining a little weight'?...What were we talking about, I can't 'concentrate'.

Crap.

3 comments:

DaMom said...

Your Self-Analysis seems right on to me! Winter is gloomy.

Anonymous said...

A diagnosis of SAD, depression, or any other mental health issue does NOT make you "crazy," selfish, or melodramatic. Your mental health is just as important as the health of the rest of your body. SAD can be effectively and discreetly treated with small changes like these:

How is the lighting in your home? Try using more lights with brighter bulbs, and make your home a restful retreat. If it's messy, recruit some friends to help you do a deep cleaning so you don't worry about it.

You are what you eat! Eating a balanced diet gives your body essential nutrients, but there are studies linking the consumption of Vitamin D and citrus fruits to better mental health. Doctors recommend that women take in at least 500 UIs of Vitamin D daily. You can take a supplement, but milk is also an excellent source of Vitamin D. Citrus fruits contain Vitamin C and calcium; the latter is better absorbed when Vitamin D is present in yout system, and the former boosts your immune system which helps keep you from feeling run down.

Everyone knows exercise is vital to your health, but did you know it's good for your mind too? Excerise releases endorphins, which boost your mood, and gets your blood pumping so you get that good feeling all over. If it's too cold outside, consider video games that get you off the couch and active, or a workout DVD swap with your friends.

Medication is often prescribed on a temporary basis to counteract Seasonal Affective Disorder. The patient will be prescribed a low dosage of an antidepressant for as long as the symptoms last, if no other mental health issues are present. SAD is often, but not always, present with other issues such as Depression and Anxiety; your doctor will consider your mental health history carefully to determine if other issues are present.

The important thing to remember is that your mind doesn't have an immune system, meaning it won't get better over time the way your body recovers from a cold. SAD may fade in and out with the seasons, but it will continue to repeat itself unless you seek help. Many people remember the negative stigma that often accompanied a past diagnosis of mental health issues; don't let yourself fall for them! You deserve to feel happy and healthy, and your whole body deserves the attention!

I apologize for the novel, but as someone who loves you, I feel compelled to ensure you take care of yourself!

SillyCass said...

Oops! i certainly wasn't trying to make anyone worry about me! I don't think I actually have SAD and anyone who gets a professional diagnosis of a mental health disorder should definitely not feel any shame and should follow Dr.'s orders - whether more homeopathic in nature or prescription.
On the other hand - advice given: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, brighter lightbulbs and exercise - heck, that's just good advice all year long (especially since I hate milk!)... anyway, love to you and I appreciate the concern! But, I'm A-ok... Spring is just around the corner.